Enchanting, Unbelievable, Spectacular, words often fall short in describing the beauty of Valley of Flowers. If there is one place where you would want to get lost and enter the fairytale world, then it has to be the Valley of Flowers. Located in Chamoli in the state of Uttarakhand, this National Park is as magical and breathtaking as the journey to reach it. A must-visit once in your lifetime, the amazing road trip and strenuous trek to this valley leaves you spellbound and all the fatigue vanishes once you enter the green pastures dotted with colorful flowers. Located at an altitude of 3,858m, this picturesque valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to millions of flower species and a perfect weekend getaway. The best time to visit Valley of Flowers is from June to September, as it is covered by snow for the rest of year.
- Rishikesh to Joshimath to Govind Ghat – You can take a road trip from Delhi to Haridwar and then a further 45-minute drive takes you to Rishikesh. From Rishikesh, a ten-hour drive will take you to Joshimath in Chamoli District and a further one-hour drive to Govind Ghat. Starting early from Rishikesh will get you at Govind Ghat by evening and staying at a local hotel there will be a good idea. This road trip will take you through jaw-dropping scenery.
- Govind Ghat to Ghangria – Eat a good breakfast early in the morning at your hotel in Govind Ghat to start the 13-14km long trek. After all, you need a lot of energy for the steep and tiring trek. After a hike for almost 7 hours, you will reach Ghangria, which is very near to the Valley of Flowers. You will realize that most of the fellow travelers are of Sikh Community, who visit Hemkund Sahib. Ghangria is a small village with just a few shops, eateries and a Gurudwara. Stay overnight at Ghangria to recuperate and start the next journey.
- Ghangria to Valley of Flowers – This trek is comparatively easy and just after three km you will start seeing the flowers in full bloom. Feast your tired eyes and souls and get whisked away in the nature’s splendor. Thousands of flowers, many streams, birds, butterflies and complete solitude welcomes you in the valley and call for some quiet moments with the nature and self. After spending sometime there, you can come back to Ghangria and relax at the hotel.
- Ghangria to Hemkund Sahib – Rocky terrain and a steep trail take you from Ghangria to Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara and lake. The lake is surrounded by seven mountains and is a sight to behold. After a four-hour trek, you can take a dip in the holy lake and have a cup of hot tea and khichdi at the Gurudwara. After that, trek your way back to Ghangria, where you will stay overnight.
- Ghangria to Govind Ghat to Joshimath to Rishikesh – Finally, start your journey way back early in the morning and after returning back to Govind Ghat, you can hire a taxi to reach Joshimath, Chamoli. You can also visit Auli, an adventure sports destination (if you have some time in hand). After a night’s stay at Chamoli, you can resume your journey to Rishikesh the next day.
A Few Key Pointers
- Time your trek wisely, else you might miss seeing the best.
- The best time visit the valley is July and August, since all the flowers are in full bloom.
- Permit is required from Ghangria to visit Valley of Flowers. Permit is valid only for three days.
- Book RIGHT NOW to avoid disappointments.
- Take extra pairs of clothing as there might some untimely rainfall.
And FINALLY, pack your bags, get ready and leave right now for this perfect getaway. The magical world of Uttarakhand awaits you.